Assessment Development Series
To ensure staff members in the Division have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to conduct assessment in their areas, building and developing talent is a priority. The Assessment Development Series will be offered on a yearly basis to support capacity building in the Division of Student Life.
Division of Student Life Assessment Handbook
The Assessment Handbook is a condensed practical guide to support student affairs practitioners in thinking about and using assessment in their daily work.
These information sheets provide practical information on specific assessment topics.
- Using Reflection for Assessment
- Determining a Cycle for Assessment Activities
- Evidence-Based Decision Making
- Basic Guidelines for Developing and Conducting Surveys
- Basic Guidelines for Conducting Focus Groups
View past AIR presentations, worksheets, and handouts on various assessment topics. All materials are free to use.
University of Iowa websites
The links below highlight assessment efforts that are occurring across the University of Iowa.
- Center for Advanced Studies in Measurement and Assessment (CASMA)
- Center for Research on Undergraduate Education (CRUE)
- Office of Assessment, Provost's Office
- Assessment on International Students
Presentations from other resources
The following presentations on specific assessment topics are for your reference.
- Developing Learning Outcomes as Part of Assessment in Student Affairs by John Schuh
- Assessment Methodology in Higher Education by John Schuh
- Data Coaching Workshop by Theresa Welbourne
Assessment in Student Affairs at other institutions
The links featured below highlight assessment in Student Affairs at institutions across the country.
- Texas A&M University (Department of Student Life Studies)
- North Carolina State University (Office of Institutional Research and Planning)
- Ohio State University (Center for the Study of Student Life)
- Oregon State University (Office of Student Affairs Research and Evaluation)
- University of Georgia (Department of Student Affairs Assessment)
- University of North Carolina, Charlotte (Student Affairs Research)
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington (Student Life Assessment)
- University of Rhode Island (Division of Student Affairs)
The links below highlight various professional associations that promote and support assessment efforts in higher education.
- American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
- ACPA Commission for Assessment and Evaluation
- American Council on Education
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AACU)
- Association for Institutional Research (AIR)
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS)
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- NASPA Assessment, Evaluation, and Research Knowledge Community
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA)