Tools for Assessment
Assessment Development Series
To ensure staff members in the Division have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to conduct assessment in their areas, building and developing talent is a priority. The Assessment Development Series will be offered on a yearly basis to support capacity building in the Division of Student Life.
Learn more about the Assessment Development Series.
Division of Student Life Assessment Handbook
The Assessment Handbook is a condensed practical guide to support student affairs practitioners in thinking about and using assessment in their daily work.
These information sheets provide practical information on specific assessment topics.
- Using Reflection for Assessment
- Determining a Cycle for Assessment Activities
- Evidence-Based Decision Making
- Basic Guidelines for Developing and Conducting Surveys
- Basic Guidelines for Conducting Focus Groups
View past AIR presentations, worksheets, and handouts on various assessment topics. All materials are free to use.
A list of books, journals, articles, and other publications on various assessment topics.
University of Iowa websites
The links below highlight assessment efforts that are occurring across the University of Iowa.
- Center for Advanced Studies in Measurement and Assessment (CASMA)
- Center for Research on Undergraduate Education (CRUE)
- Office of Assessment, Provost's Office
- Assessment on International Students
Presentations from other resources
The following presentations on specific assessment topics are for your reference.
- Developing Learning Outcomes as Part of Assessment in Student Affairs by John Schuh
- Assessment Methodology in Higher Education by John Schuh
- Data Coaching Workshop by Theresa Welbourne
Assessment in Student Affairs at other institutions
The links featured below highlight assessment in Student Affairs at institutions across the country.
- Texas A&M University (Department of Student Life Studies)
- North Carolina State University (Office of Institutional Research and Planning)
- Ohio State University (Center for the Study of Student Life)
- Oregon State University (Office of Student Affairs Research and Evaluation)
- University of Georgia (Department of Student Affairs Assessment)
- University of North Carolina, Charlotte (Student Affairs Research)
- University of North Carolina, Wilmington (Student Life Assessment)
- University of Rhode Island (Division of Student Affairs)
The links below highlight various professional associations that promote and support assessment efforts in higher education.
- American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
- ACPA Commission for Assessment and Evaluation
- American Council on Education
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Association of American Colleges and Universities (AACU)
- Association for Institutional Research (AIR)
- Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education (CAS)
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- NASPA Assessment, Evaluation, and Research Knowledge Community
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA)