2021-2026 Division of Student Life Strategic Plan
The University of Iowa is dedicated to creating an inclusive environment for all of our students and to foster a place where students can succeed. To that end, the Division of Student Life has outlined a strategic plan for 2021-2026 to lead the Division into the future in more innovative ways.
Timeline of events
- Fall 2019: The Strategic Planning Committee met during the fall semester to complete a strategic position review of the Division, including reaching out to stakeholders across campus to gather feedback.
- January 2020: DSL leadership and committee members took the strategic position review and drafted the strategic plan during a retreat.
- February and March 2020: The strategic plan was finalized and sent to the Office of the Provost for review and feedback, which was received in March.
- August 2020: Due to COVID-19, the strategic plan timeline was put on hold. The Division revised the strategic plan to better reflect the new climate.
- September 2020: Feedback on the plan was solicited from staff in the Division of Student Life through a Qualtrics survey and open forums.
- October 2020: Feedback on the plan was solicited from students through a Qualtrics survey and open forums.
- November 1, 2020: The strategic plan was finalized and implementation began.
In order to advance our mission of student success and address the strategic gaps outlined by the University of Iowa, our vision is to:
- Establish Iowa as a national leader in student engagement and holistic well-being practices that promote student success
- Lead boldly in diversity, equity, and inclusion by developing and engaging in programs and initiatives that educate and hold staff and students accountable to grow, learn, and enact change
- Create a cohesive student experience to reinforce individual and collective success
- Expand our effectiveness through staff support, resource growth, and proactive communication
Strategic priorities and goals
- Goal 1: Student Engagement - Enhance the student experience through meaningful engagement and high-impact practices
- Goal 2: Holistic Well-Being - Lead a campus-wide movement to enhance holistic well-being
- Goal 3: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Lead boldly through the Division of Student Life’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Action Plan
- Goal 4: Community and Belonging - Cultivate virtual and in-person programs and physical spaces that promote a sense of belonging, opportunities for socialization, and community development
- Goal 5: Staff Support - Recruit, retain, engage, and develop employees at all levels to enrich student success
- Goal 6: Resources and Development - Grow and align Division resources, partnerships, and revenue to support Division priorities
- Expect Excellence: The 2021-2026 University of Iowa Strategic Plan
- DSL Strategic Plan Process and Organization
- Iowa leaders encourage participation in strategic plan process [Iowa Now]
- 2016-2021 University of Iowa Strategic Plan (pdf)
Questions about the DSL strategic plan can be directed to Teri Schnelle, Director of Projects and Partnerships.