Happy last week of classes, Hawkeyes!
I wanted to alert you to a recent change to university policies that impacts our campus community. The university’s chalking policy has been updated to reflect our shared values of free speech, free expression, and the exchange of ideas. This important update applies to all university students, staff, faculty, affiliates, invited guests, and visitors.
Community members are expected to comply with the following:
- Use chalk that is water-soluble.
- Chalk only on horizontal (flat) sidewalks that are open to the elements
- Do not use chalk on any vertical surfaces or on non-sidewalk surfaces, both inside and outside.
- Chalking is only permitted in specific areas: See this map for more information.
- Overwriting, erasing, defacing, or altering existing chalking is prohibited by anyone other than the person or organization who did the chalking.
- Chalking which violates University of Iowa policy, state, or federal law, is prohibited.
- Commercial solicitation and advertising are not permitted.
Students and organizations who fail to comply with these expectations may be subject to discipline under the Code of Student Life. Please review the full chalking policy here.
If you have questions or concerns related to this policy, please reach out to the Office of the Dean of Students. If you wish to report a violation of this policy, please report your concerns here.
Assistant Dean and Director of Student Accountability