1. The Old Capitol, obviously.
Formerly the seat of government for the State of Iowa, The Old Capitol now stands as the most prominent landmark on the UI campus.
2. We were ranked among the 30 best public universities in the country.
...probably because we don’t let finals week stress get to us. We play with with puppies instead:
3. Kinnick Stadium. (‘Nuff said).
Kinnick (named after 1939 Heisman Trophy winner Nile Kinnick) seats 70,585 football fans. #GoHawks
4. We love literature.
5. We overcome hardship.
In 2008, the Iowa River rose to record levels, flooding a number of buildings on the Iowa City campus. The UI community came together, working hard to save campus:
And save our books, obvi.
Flood photos courtesy of University News Services
6. Hawkeye sports are amazing.
The Hawks have won 26 national championships to date.
7. Our former students? Yeah. They’re kind of a big deal.
1. Diablo Cody, Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for “Juno”
2. James Hansen, Heads the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies and was recognized in Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People of 2006 for his efforts in fighting the effects of global climate change.
3. James Van Allen, World famous physicist and discoverer of two radiation belts that surround the earth. Oh, and the belts are named ofter him: the Van Allen Belts. NBD.
4. Ashton Kutcher, Actor and giver of awesome speeches, like this one.
8. We champion diversity.
1855 – UI becomes the first public university in the country to admit women on an equal basis.
1879 – UI is the first university to grant a law degree to an African American.
1970 – The first state-University to recognize the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Allied Union.
9. Our mascot is the greatest ever.
10. Even Mother Nature loves black and gold.
Did we mention our campus is gorgeous?!
11. We <3 to give back to our community.
The UI’s Dance Marathon raised over $1.5million for kids with cancer in 2013 alone.
12. We’re rich in tradition.
13. We stand out in a crowd.
14. See also; GORILLAS!
15. There is no nation like Hawkeye Nation.
All photos (with the exception of 2008 flood photos) courtesy of Division of Student Life Marketing + Design