DEI Action Plan
To create and sustain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive Division of Student Life that fosters student, staff, and faculty success.
2020-2021 DEI Action Plan Implementation Team
The DEI Implementation Team is charged with implementing the action steps outlined in the DSL DEI Plan. The team is co-chaired by Dr. Maria Bruno and Teri Schnelle, with three subcommittees overseeing the three goals of the plan. View the full plan with updates.
- Goal 1: Identify and revise systematically oppressive policies, practices, and programs in order to create a culture where healing, equitable, and sustained change will happen
- Goal 2: Create a sustainable structure to support the DSL as a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization
- Goal 3: Implement strong, genuine, and consistently communicated culturally inclusive practices that reinforce of Division of Student Life values
If you are interested in joining the DEI Action Plan Implementation Team, please contact Teri Schnelle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subcommittee 1 (Goal 1)
Chair- Linda Stewart Kroon
- Marcus Powell
- Greg Thompson
- Jeff Aaberg
- Bill Nelson
- Bret Gothe
- Amber McNeal
- Talinda Pettigrew
- Anna Soergel
- Jamarco Clark
Subcommittee 2 (Goal 2):
Chair- Maria Bruno
- Danielle Barefoot
- Abigail Beadle
- Tanya Villhauer
- Mallory Valentine
- Ian Van Anden
- Scott Seagren
Subcommittee 3 (Goal 3):
Chair- Adam Robinson
- Lisa James
- Barry Schreier
- Jill Irvin
- Virginia Ibrahim-Olin
- Brandon Mills
- Erin Fitzgerald
- Jessica Padilla
- Caleb Recker
- Ruth Kahssai
Selected DSL DEI Action Plan Updates:
The DEI Action Plan is updated at the end of the fall semester and spring semester.
- Dr. Maria Bruno was hired to fill the new Executive Director of Belonging and Inclusion position in October 2019.
- Spring 2020 DEI Implementation Team begins to meet regularly.
- University Housing and Dining included a question regarding “sense of belonging” in the RA talks in spring 2020, and created a Residence Education Student DEI Task Force was created.
- The “Safety and Support” link on all ICON course sites under “Student Tools” was moved to the top of the navigation bar. This provides links to the Division of Diversity Equity and Inclusion, the Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator, University Counseling Services, etc.
- Created a rubric for employees that outlines specific work behaviors for each level of the diversity, equity, and inclusion universal competency in fall 2020.
- Recruited and held initial meeting with participants in the first IDEA pilot group. The IDEA initiative supports supervisors in having regular DEI conversations with their employees. Training sessions were held in January and the pilot began in spring 2021. Pilot supervisors participate in monthly meetings and a wrap-up mini-retreat at the end of the semester.
Updates from the DEI Action Plan will be shared regularly with staff in the Division of Student Life and the broader UI community. View the DEI Action Plan communication plan.
DSL Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Action Plan
As the Division of Student Life (DSL) at the University of Iowa, we must acknowledge that our organization is a representation of our larger society which has historically privileged many as well as equally disenfranchised and marginalized others.Learn More